Thursday, March 24, 2011

Is there a doctor in the house?

Everyone in the US seems to think we Canadians are so lucky to have "free" health care. What they do not realise is that our health care system is terrible! Sure it is "free", but we get heavily taxed for it.

We have people in emergency waiting rooms that have been there for days waiting for care. My family is on a 2-3 year waiting list to have a family doctor. I cannot have a doctor at the CLSC (health clinic in Quebec) which is 5 minutes from here because I am not in the right district. ( A highway is between us and the town of Stanstead) Instead I will have to travel 30 minutes the opposite way to Coaticook!

Today I brought Jacob to the CLSC  for his vaccinations. Thankfully I can make an appointment with a baby nurse quite easily, but the care is definitely not what I am used to after being in Seattle. This baby nurse is only available until the children are of 4 years old and is not available on the spot.

When we lived in Seattle, I could call up a doctor and get an appointment the same day if it was an emergency, whether it was for the kids or myself. If the regular doctor was not available there would be someone to fill in. Yes I paid for health insurance, but it was so worth it! Here most people have to wait in the waiting room of the emegency room or walk in clinic for an average of anywhere between 15 minutes and 4 hours! Some of these people are in serious pain, but have no other option!

I was reading an article a few weeks ago that stated Canada had one of the worst health care systems in the world! It told of how one man in the western part of Canada walked into an emergency room because he needed mental help and after waiting too long he threatened to drive his truck through the front doors. Nobody listened, so guess what he did? Drove the truck right through the front doors! How is that for grabbing attention.

Luckily we have a doctor in town, Dr. Bouchard, who has a private clinic in the front of his house.  He charges $15 for anyone. You do not need a health card and if you cannot even afford the $15 you just say thank you and leave it at that. There is a waiting room that seats about 10, but he doesn't close the door when the room is full, you just have to be patient and either stand and wait or come back a little later. Unlike the CLSC where you have to show up at 8 am, put your name on a list and wait until the doctor is ready for you. Do not show up after 8 am  though because by then the list is full they won't see anyone else! Around here the walk in clinic is only available 1-2 times a week!

Mr. Bouchard is in his 60's, maybe 70's, so who knows how much longer he will keep working. The funny thing is, he knows all the Beasse family. One, he grew up with most of them, and two, he delivered my husband and the rest of his siblings into this world! When I see Dr. Bouchard he refers to my kids as Red's grandsons! Not very many places these days give you that at home feeling! 

Here in Quebec, I am not sure about the rest of Canada, kids of school age are vaccinated by the nurse at school. When I told Logan that he was missing one vaccination, because in the US they gave it later, and that he would have to get a shot from the nurse at school he had a fit! I felt sorry for him and I let him off the hook this time around. He is my very emotional child. In his mind, because this is what he was told in Seattle, he didn't have to get any more shots until he was 11. I know the vaccinations will be given again so when Mason start at the same school next year hopefully they can get it done together. Luckily Jacob is done until he starts school too!

This is another chapter in my life where I have to keep my head up and not get too frustrated. I have been asking some other moms for names of doctors and dentists who they would recommend. I may have to go private, but if that is a more reliable option then that is what I will do. At least for my kids sake!

Blessings
Lee-Anne


In the Lord, put your trust.     - Psalms 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment