Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Big Race

Saturdays have been busy for a long time in our household and today was no different. We actually had to decline a couple events because of our packed schedule!

I started my day in a bit of a panic. The electricity had gone off during the night and when I awoke all I saw were flashing numbers and a fairly bright sky. I ran downstairs, to see the only battery operated clock in the house, and to my relief it was only 6:30am. I still had 20 minutes to get ready for my bootcamp class! I fed Max, had a bite to eat, took my vitamins, got dressed and was out the door by 6:52 am.

Two friendly faces greeted me when I showed up to our workout site for 7am, and 3 more quickly followed! One of whom was a brand new recruit! Not bad considering most people probably didn't get awakened by their alarm since the power went out. The weather was super! It only drizzled a little and the warmth of the air was amazing! You would never have guessed it was fall, other than the fact all the leaves are changing colour!

At 8am I was on a mission to get to the Arena to watch Mason's hockey practice and get Logan ready for his. However, when I showed up to an empty parking lot my heart sank. I had misread the practice schedule. I had made Martin get up early to dress Mason for a practice that had been moved to the afternoon! Oh well, Logan had practice at 9am anyway so we were just that much more up and ready to start the day.

After lunch Martin left for his football game, which started at 4pm. Then I dropped Jacob off at Grandmaman's while I took Mason and Logan to Magog for Logan's very first cross country running race! The sun was shining, I got a super duper awesome FREE parking spot not far from the venue, and both boys (despite no naps) were in a great mood!

I will admit I was a little stressed walking on the busier streets with two very wiggly boys. Once we got into the venue at Point Merry I relaxed a lot more and we all enjoyed the afternoon. There were bouncy houses, a place for inflatable baton fighting, zip lining, a firetruck to sit in, and of course the running races for kids from kindergarten to 6th grade.

I enjoyed seeing the concentration on Logan's face as he prepared for the start and the effort he put in throughout the race. He was so serious, but at the end he flashed me his toothless smile and was so excited to talk about how great it was!  Logan had so much fun running in his race that he did another lap just before we left! He is already talking about signing up for next year. Mason will be able to do it too!

After spending 3 hours at the event, the moods were starting to shift from excited to tired and cranky so we left just before the melt downs hit! We headed straight to the Stanstead Arena to finish watching Grandpapa play hockey with a Sherbrooke team. The game was played as a special event to mark the official opening of the new Pat Burns Arena!

In a past blog I wrote about the Hockey Town contest, well our new rink has been functioning since June of this year and tomorrow afternoon the old Canadienne team will be playing! It is a pretty big thing to have this new arena in Stanstead. In the old arena we had to wear our snowsuits to watch the kids play hockey, now we  have actual seats and a much milder climate in the arena. There is also a huge heated area behind a large viewing window upstairs! The change is amazing! There are have even been many more sign ups this year than ever for kids to play hockey!

We left early from the game so the kids could play with their cousins at Grandmaman's for a couple hours then it was off to home for showers and bed. Everyone was a little on edge from the busy day, so I tried to get everything done as quickly as possible so we could save the tantrums for another day! Sometimes just letting the tantrums go unnoticed is easier than giving into them, but if we can avoid them altogether that is even better!

Tomorrow is a home day.

Do you enjoy a busy schedule? If so how do you manage the family calendar?
Do you like to keep things simple? If so, what do you do with the family?

For This I am Grateful (Day 17)
1. A full night sleep!
2. Newcomers to bootcamp!
3. To watch Logan run his first of many races!

Blessings
Lee-Anne xo

Matthew 11:28-29 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls

No comments:

Post a Comment