Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Live and Learn

I switched my morning routine slightly today to see if it would make a difference in getting out the door on time. Guess what? It did! Even though I got out of bed at 6:30 am I made an arrangement with Logan and Mason that they could not come downstairs unless they were dressed. Usually this is the last thing we do to get ready for school.

I knew that I was going for a walk with Jacob once I dropped the boys off at school so I did the same thing and got dressed before I went downstairs! I made sure that I was fed before making lunches and worrying about everyone else. This makes me less grumpy because I like to eat as soon as I wake up! I had the leftover oatmeal and split it with Jacob!

After sending the boys back upstairs a couple times they got the hint that they needed to be dressed! When they came down they were ready to eat and did so more efficiently for some reason. We still had some issues when it came down to the last 5 minutes, but I had given myself enough room that we got out on time.

I listened to my first of 6 calls with Annette Mease at 1 pm. The call lasted until 2:30pm which I was not prepared for. In my mind I would have 1 hour to organise myself before I picked up the boys from school, head to their dentist appointments, then go straight to Logan's hockey practice!When I realised I had less than 25 minutes to get ready my brain went into freak out mode, which I understand more about after Anette's call, and it continued for the rest of the evening!

I managed to pack all of Logan's hockey equipment, EXCEPT his hockey stick (which I didn't realise until we got to practice). We ended up being at the dentist a lot longer than I expected and I had promised the boys Burger King if they were good.(This almost never happens because there are no fast food restaurants around us). When we got to BK we were already in a rush and it took what seemed like forever before they got the food out!(Nice to know it was "fresh", but nobody was helping the poor cashier).

By the time we actually sat down to eat I knew there was no way the kids would be able to eat in 15 minutes. I wasn't up for bringing it in the car so I took a chance. It was 5:30 pm by the time we left, because of course everyone has to go pee and wash their hands before leaving! Practice started at 6pm. It takes 20 minutes to get from Magog to the Pat Burns Arena in Stanstead. Can you see where I am going?

It takes Logan 20-30 minutes to put on all his gear! Did I mention I forgot his stick? Once we were finally finished adjusting Logan's skates it was 6:10pm. I then had to go on a hunt for an extra stick. I asked one of the kids in the hallway, who wasn't practicing until 7, for a stick. He asked me what hand Logan uses. I automatically said left because he is a lefty! I gave Logan the stick and right away knew it was not the right stick as soon as he gripped it and the curve shaped the opposite way! My heart was already tearing apart because of my poor hockey mom skills and now I just added to the disaster! Luckily Logan was a trooper and didn't have a meltdown. He gave me the look of " mom why did you give THIS to me?" and went on with his practice.

Thankfully, bedtime went smoothly after showers and milk. I think everyone was just exhausted from the hectic afternoon!

I re energised myself by replaying the Loral Langemeier session from the YES Energy Summit and did the Day 2 homework for the YES Energy Bootcamp. I replayed in my head all the things I could have done to create a more pleasant afternoon and chalked it up to a learning experience. Sometimes having these kinds of days make living more worthwhile. My biggest issue was obviously not being prepared ahead of time. If I had been I wouldn't have felt rushed or put that same energy on my family.

Note to self; double check equipment the night before to make sure it is all there. It isn't like I just decided to go to the dentist. I have known for weeks! The biggest thing for me was "why would I give in to fast food when I know I can't even pronounce half of the ingredients that go into making it?" I run a Healthy Edge program so I should have had a simple HE supper ready in a lunch box! I did have the snacks, but that was definitely not enough!

It is funny when life gets just a little crazy how I can slip back into old habits, even when I know better. I am choosing to be truly conscious of my actions around my family, eating, business and any other thing pertaining to my life. Living in freak out mode is not cool for me and I can imagine just how awful it comes across to others!

Do live in your shadow or in your light?

For This I am Grateful (Day 14)
1. Crazy days that help me to grow
2. Information at my fingertips to help me understand myself and move forward
3. Friends that are willing to lend a helping hand

Blessings
Lee-Anne

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment