Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Sense of Belonging

I had such a great experience today. I walked into my childrens' school, for parent teacher orientation for Kindergarten, and I knew half the moms in the room personally! And I knew most of the faces of the other parents. As opposed to last year when I only knew one mom at my fist school meeting!

Since then I have: joined the local moms group; met many of Martin's friends from when he grew up;  gotten involved with events at the daycare and elementary school; had the kids in hockey, soccer, and baseball; started playing soccer on an adult league in town; and started a bootcamp for moms!

It is amazing how things just started happening when I got myself involved. It was a natural evolution. A year ago I was not very happy to be so isolated and to have to start making new friends yet again! I struggled with my emotions a lot! In fact I was still in resistance up until April of this year.

As soon as I changed my attitude so many doors started to open up for me. I ate better, exercised more, released over 20 pounds, and thought more clearly. I started BEING me again!

Now that Mason and Logan are at the same school this year I will aim to be an even bigger part of the school. I will be on the planning commitee, with other active parents, for school activities and volunteer whenever I am able. I was thrilled to hear Mason's teacher say she loves parents to volunteer! Last year it didn't seem like the school was as open to parents being involved in the school. Somewhere something changed for the better and I am excited to get more involved.

So many great things going on right now that if I think about it too much I may get overwhelmed! However, in order to not get frazzled, I will choose to structure my time so that I can be as involved as possible with my children, yet remember that I am only one mom. I will allow time for myself so I can be the best woman that God created me to be.

It is so important to have a sense of belonging. Do you feel a part of your community? If not, what are some ways YOU can change that?


For This I am Grateful (Day 7)
1. To be able to send my children to a french school
2. To finally (since a a year ago when we moved) feel like I am part of a community
3. For Grandmaman and Grandpapa (Martin's parents) who only live 5 minutes from us!

Blessings
Lee-Anne

Romans 8:28And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. (NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment