Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Gift of Nothing

Three Christmas's ago a beautiful girlfriend of mine sent a special package to me and my family. Inside, along with some yummy treats, was a cute little book called The Gift of Nothing by Patrick McDonnell.

A perfect little story about finding the perfect gift for that special someone who has EVERYTHING! It really touched on the importance of being genuine and spending time with those we love.

I am so grateful for my friend Alicia and her precious gift to us of adding a new storybook to our family's traditional Christmas reading list!

Linking this story to my youngest child, Jacob, I grasped the opportunity to spend a little extra time with him tonight. While Logan and Mason had already fallen asleep a not so sleepy Jacob quietly crept down the stairs looking for Mommy :)

Knowing that he had had a very long nap this afternoon, one that I willingly partook in, I allowed him to come downstairs for a couple extra QUIET stories. I stressed quiet because his idea of a really good story is anything that makes noise!

Once we were complete he was quite happy to return to his bed and quickly fell asleep in my arms :)

You really can't buy these precious moments or plan them. I love all my children and I realize as they grow that I cannot buy back time and that every moment counts. Sometimes I find that I wish time away too quickly and miss out on some wonderful opportunities to connect with my kids.

I am working at putting more focus on being completely present at home with my kids and husband when we are all home as a family. I look forward to including them in more of the things that I do and participating in and celebrating the things they do. Yes I am already involved in many activities with them, but I mean on a level of heart to heart connection. Being more vulnerable is scary for me, and that is just what the doctor ordered :)

Blessings
Lee-Anne 


1 John 3:18 
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment